Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1


The New England Patriots play Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans ("Texans"?  You guys still going with that name, huh?) at Gillette on Sunday September 9th at 1:00 PM.


Old Business


The defense was not good enough.  They didn't really improve it much in the off season.  Malcolm Butler should have played in the Super Bowl.

Danny Amendola and Brandon Bolden are now Dolphins.  Did you know Brandon Bolden had been on this team since... 2012?!  I just assumed he would always be seldom seen but around forever.... like a special teams Cthulhu.


New Business

/checks roster

//exhales audibly

This draft class better turn out to be really good, or else we're boned.  And would it have killed them to add a standout wide receiver?  I could very easily see a 9 - 7 season.


Chad Power Rankings: 

1) -wick Boseman

2) (country)

3) hanging

4) and Jeremy

5) Johnson

6) Chad Hansen (Hey!  Here's some guy they grabbed off the street. But... he's over six feet!)



Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday afternoon:

1) The offensive line.  It could be a long afternoon if Houston gets pressure up the middle.

2) The running backs.  Maybe we'll run the ball a ton this year.  Olde tyme football!

3) The linebacking corp look like Dont'a Hightower and a bunch of guys right now.  And the trend line for Hightower 's games played per season isn't great.


Pat's Recipe of the Week






My prediction: Pats 20, Texans 34

*****


I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Belichick Administration
I work for the head coach but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.
September 9, 2007
Thursday Morning Third Down Back today is taking the rare step of publishing an Eric Mangini  anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Belichick administration.
The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the coaches on his own staff  are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations. 
I would know. I am one of them.
To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the Colts and Steelers. We want the team to succeed and think that many of its players have already made the National Football League more fun and more interseting.
But we believe our first duty is to the game, and the head coach continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our league.  Exotic blitzes and trick plays left on his desk are removed and hidden from him.  The taping of sideline coaching signals that would lead to his downfall must end - one way or another.
Don’t get me wrong. There are bright spots that the near-ceaseless negative coverage of the team fails to capture: the rise of Troy Brown, Rodney Harrison's resurgence, Ty Law's three interception game against Manning
There is a quiet resistance within the team of people choosing to put the league first. 
Hail Goodell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...