Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 4

The 1 - 2 New England Patriots play Brock Purdy and the San Francisco 49ers at Levi's Stadium on Sunday September 29th at 4:05 PM.


I would very much like to go back to watching fancy football.

We're downgrading this team from "surprisingly frisky" to "potentially another lost season" after last week. There's just too far to go for this offense. Watch this space for additional updates


Wilson Power Rankings:

1) How to with John

2) Luke

3) Thomas F.

4) Ann and Nancy

5) Marco

6) Eugene

7) Pickett

8) The Volleyball

9) Patrick

10) Owen

11) Rita


Here are three things that I did not care for in week 3:

1) Poor Jacoby Brissett is getting absolutely beat up out there. I feel for the guy. We have not put him in a good situation.

2) Punts. So many punts.

3) Aaron Rodgers. Maybe not dead yet?


Dad Rock Jam of the Week

Faith No More - Falling to Pieces


Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? 

My brothers and sisters in The Force, you know they did not.


My prediction: Patriots 10, 49ers 34

***  

This week Thursday Morning Third Down Back is pleased to welcome guest columnist Number Six from The Prisoner.

If there's one thing you need to maintain, either as an ex-spy or a football team, it's a sense of identity. It can be too easy to lose your way back to where you want to be if you've forgotten who you are. If you've lost that, you've lost everything.

Your actions define you as a man. Not what society gives you as a label. Or a number. You control the narrative.

...and now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to attempt another escape from the Village with a suspiciously attractive redhead I just met this morning. She seems nice.

Be seeing you.

 (Thursday Morning Third Down Back is never written with AI or sponsored by foreign governments.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...