Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The Patriots play their third game of the year at Gillette Stadium against the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, September 21 at 1:00 PM.

Better.  Much better.  I saw some signs of actual effort last week.  The idea of starting 0 - 2 was really starting to scare me, you guys.

Game balls to Chandler Jones and Stevan Ridley (and an honorable mention to Matt Cassel... who played a huge part in that win).


Have you seen this man?


Jimmy Power Rankings:

1) Stewart

2) McNulty

3) Hoffa

4) Garoppolo

5) Jazz


Here's five things I really liked about last week:

1) Julian Edelman - Edelman is off to a great start so far.  He's starting to become a big part of the offense.  I just get a little nervous every time I see him get hit hard.

2) Stephen Gostkowski - Gostkowski is really really really good.

3) The Offensive Line - Looks like they went with 6 offensive linemen at times last week.  If that's what it takes, I guess I'm OK with it.

4) Devin McCourty - Devin McCourty, Safety is MUCH better than Devin McCourty, Corner.

5) Interceptions - So many interceptions!  Can we play against Matt Cassel every week?


And here's two things I didn't like last week:

1) Brady looked like he had a little more time back there in Week 2.  HOWEVER... He's got to spread it around a little bit more.  He's still keying on Gronk and Edelman too much.  It's got to get better.  Plus he looks super cranky on the sideline lately.  Is he upset because they drafted another handsome quarterback?  Can somebody maybe take him out for an ice cream?

2) Penalties.  Lots and lots of penalties.  The bad kind, too.  Not the good kind.


Did Michael Hoomanawanui have a catch last week?

Yes!

Did Stevan Ridley fumble last week?

Nope.


My prediction: Pats 34, Raiders 14

*****

This week we have Fake Matt Patricia filling for Fake Bill Belichick.

Hello Carbon Based Lifeforms.  I hope this correspondence finds you well.

Let's take a look and see what's in Matty's Mailbag this week.


If you weren't a football coach, what do you think you'd be?
-- Steve (Hicksville, NY)

Well...  I'd probably be teaching high school.  Maybe math or science.  I've always enjoyed teaching.  But I think my absolute dream job would be to run a comic book store.  I could do inventory. Run the register. Set up the computer network.  That would be so great.


How would you describe your defensive philosophy?
-- Dave (in the car)

Obviously... Coach Bill sets the agenda and makes the big decisions.  Everything trickles down from him.

But personally... As a football coach, I try to model myself after Asimov's 3 laws of robotics.   "A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."  (just replace "robot" with "coach")


Have you been keeping up with the SW7 shooting rumors?
-- Eric (Cranston, RI)

I try to avoid spoilers in general.  I don't want to go in to a movie with any kind of preconceived notions.

Also, the crazy hours my job requires usually makes it pretty easy to block out the outside world.

But yeah... I'm getting a little excited.


Kirk or Picard?
-- Matt  (Boston, MA)

Riker.


Who do you like as a Commander these days?
-- Ray (Rakdos, MA)

I'm running Rafiq as a general in my latest EDH deck.  Should be good.

BUT... We'll see how it looks after Khans comes out.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 2

The New England Patriots play Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 17th at 8:20 PM. Jabrill Peppers gave them a chance. Rough loss in week 1. Despite a horrific first quarter, they were in that game late. And they couldn't close it out. No moral victories. Bloom Power Rankings: 1) In 2) County 3) Bialystock and 4) Rachel 5) Orlando ... 11,997) Chaim Here are three things I wasn't particularly excited about last week: 1) The offense coming up small when the game was on the line. The defense gave them a chance. I'm seeing a pattern here. 2) The continued streak of being unable to win when the other team scores 25 points. 3) Giving away the ball. "We don't want it. You take it!" Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? Just barely. 2010s Jam of the Week The Joy Formidable - Whirring My prediction: Dolphins 34, Patriots 14 ***** This week we have Bill O'Brien, Reluctant Dungeon Master. Why is there so much text here?

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The New England Patriots play Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 10th at 4:25 PM. With the Dolphins, Bills and even the (gulp)  Jets all trending upward, and the Patriots shopping for offensive linemen at the TJ Maxx close out rack, this could be a very  long season. In five short years, we've gone from "Can we just skip ahead to the AFC Championship Game already?" to "Boy, it sure would be swell to win a playoff game again someday!" Based on what I saw in the preseason, I think we're looking at an above average defense and a below average offense. This is maybe a   6 and 11 team.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through this year. I knew the post-Brady transition was going to be hard... But I just didn't think it would be managed this poorly. As such, we'll be slowly transitioning this little weekly fan newsletter into a support group.  Just a quick reminder of what last season looked like. Gene p

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 5

The New England Patriots play Derek Carr and the New Orleans Saints at Gillette Stadium on Sunday October 8th at 1:00 PM. I'd like to thank the Patriots for letting me off the hook early this year. No messing around this time. They are  definitely   not  a playoff team. I'm done talking about Mac Jones. I have nothing nice to say about him. Please don't mention his name to me ever again. "He's good! He just needs better weapons around him!" /throws ball two yards short of wide open receiver Jean-Luc power rankings: 1) Godard 2) Picard If I had to talk myself into it, here are three things I'm feeling kinda sorta OK about this year so far: 1) Some of the rookies have been mostly good, especially Christian Gonzalez.  (And now he's hurt!) 2) Probably going to see a lot more Keion White with Judon going down. 3) Demario Douglas might be good. Just hang on to the football. Did the Patriots score 20 last week? My Brothers and Sisters of Our Lady of the Immac