Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 5

The 1 and 3 New England Patriots play Davis Mills and the Houston Texans at NRG Stadium on Sunday October 10th at 1:00 PM.

Doink!


Davis Mills sounds like a mixed use luxury condo development. I'd like more information, please!

Despite my predictions of gloom and doom, the Patriots did not get completely crushed last week. That was nice. But there's no "moral victory" column in the standings.


Nelson Power Rankings:

1) Mandela

2) Muntz

3) Vice-Admiral Horatio

4) "Big Head" Bighetti

5) Agholor

6) Craig T.

7) Rockefeller

8) Judd

9) (band)

10) Tim Blake


The Patriots said goodbye to Stephon Gilmore this week and traded him to the Panthers for a late pick. I don't feel great about the move... but I get it. You probably don't want to give a 31 year-old corner a long term deal.

I can't tell what the timing of this move means. Either Bill is giving up on the season... OR... he really likes the current group of guys.

OR... He's just sick of Gilmore's act.

Could be any of those things, to be honest.


Here are three things be keeping an eye on this week:

1) The offensive line, which wasn't that good to begin with, now has 4 out of 5 (!) starters out this week. Good grief.

2) How many hits can Mac Jones take? It's been way too many so far.

3) Can they run the ball without an offensive line? It looked like they gave up on the running game last week. I'm against that.


Did J.C. Jackson have an interception last week?

No.


Did Jakobi Meyers complete a pass last week?

Yes! Two!


Cookie of the Week

Chewy Ginger-Rye Cookies

Kind of a pain to track down all the ingredients, but totally worth it.


British Jam of the Week

Bloc Party - Banquet

I have no idea why Bloc Party wasn't huge here.


How good does Pat feel about this team making the playoffs this year?

We're down to a 9% chance. Not great, Readers. 


My prediction: Patriots 19, Texans 14

(Maybe we'll get to 30 points some game this year!)

*****

Thursday Morning Third Down Back is proud to present Fake Josh McDaniels.

What up, Bros and Lady Bros?

Josh has the keys to the car again this year. But unfortunately it's not the Lamborghini Murcielago Patriots offense from seasons past. The Patriots offense this season is more like a Mercury Sable with 178,000 miles, bald tires and no suspension left.

You may have questions about my play calling this year. And I get it. I totally do.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. It's the only logical explanation, of course:

Josh has an eight figure life insurance policy on Mac Jones with Josh as the sole beneficiary.

JAY MICK DEE IS TRYING TO GET MAC JONES KILLED. 

RETIREMENT HERE I COME! YEE HAW!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 2

The New England Patriots play Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 17th at 8:20 PM. Jabrill Peppers gave them a chance. Rough loss in week 1. Despite a horrific first quarter, they were in that game late. And they couldn't close it out. No moral victories. Bloom Power Rankings: 1) In 2) County 3) Bialystock and 4) Rachel 5) Orlando ... 11,997) Chaim Here are three things I wasn't particularly excited about last week: 1) The offense coming up small when the game was on the line. The defense gave them a chance. I'm seeing a pattern here. 2) The continued streak of being unable to win when the other team scores 25 points. 3) Giving away the ball. "We don't want it. You take it!" Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? Just barely. 2010s Jam of the Week The Joy Formidable - Whirring My prediction: Dolphins 34, Patriots 14 ***** This week we have Bill O'Brien, Reluctant Dungeon Master. Why is there so much text here?

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The New England Patriots play Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 10th at 4:25 PM. With the Dolphins, Bills and even the (gulp)  Jets all trending upward, and the Patriots shopping for offensive linemen at the TJ Maxx close out rack, this could be a very  long season. In five short years, we've gone from "Can we just skip ahead to the AFC Championship Game already?" to "Boy, it sure would be swell to win a playoff game again someday!" Based on what I saw in the preseason, I think we're looking at an above average defense and a below average offense. This is maybe a   6 and 11 team.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through this year. I knew the post-Brady transition was going to be hard... But I just didn't think it would be managed this poorly. As such, we'll be slowly transitioning this little weekly fan newsletter into a support group.  Just a quick reminder of what last season looked like. Gene p

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 5

The New England Patriots play Derek Carr and the New Orleans Saints at Gillette Stadium on Sunday October 8th at 1:00 PM. I'd like to thank the Patriots for letting me off the hook early this year. No messing around this time. They are  definitely   not  a playoff team. I'm done talking about Mac Jones. I have nothing nice to say about him. Please don't mention his name to me ever again. "He's good! He just needs better weapons around him!" /throws ball two yards short of wide open receiver Jean-Luc power rankings: 1) Godard 2) Picard If I had to talk myself into it, here are three things I'm feeling kinda sorta OK about this year so far: 1) Some of the rookies have been mostly good, especially Christian Gonzalez.  (And now he's hurt!) 2) Probably going to see a lot more Keion White with Judon going down. 3) Demario Douglas might be good. Just hang on to the football. Did the Patriots score 20 last week? My Brothers and Sisters of Our Lady of the Immac