Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 8

The 6 - 0 New England Patriots play Ryan Tannehill and the 3 - 3 Miami Dolphins at Gillette on Thursday October 29th at 8:25 PM.

(That's two weeks in a row playing teams lead by Ryans.  That's got to be some kind of record, right?  I'll contact the folks over at Elias Sports Bureau.)

Good Week 7 win over a surprisingly not at all terrible Jets team.  They might be for real this year.

Game balls to Danny Amendola and Dont'a Hightower.  Those guys were all over the place.

Robert Gronkowski: Difficult to Tackle

Lewis Power Rankings:

1) and Clark

2) Huey

3) Dion

4) Reggie

5) Mo


Here's three things I'll be watching for on Thursday night:

1) Dolphins D-Line - Their biggest strength will be going up against our biggest weakness.  Level of concern: moderate to high.  Spooktacular.

2) Dropped Balls - So many dropped balls last week.  It was worse than a locker room full of old guys.

3) Running Backs - Will the Patriots run the ball at all this week?  Magic 8 Ball says "ask again later".


Did Scott Chandler get flagged for offensive pass interference last week?  No!

Did Michael Williams have a catch last week?  Yes!

No sad trombones for anyone.


My prediction: Pats 38, Dolphins 30

*****

And now we present The Continuing Adventures of Julian Edelman, Private Dick.

On the job.  Still working the Case of the Cheating Husband.  My client (The Wife) called and gave me the address where her husband was going to be for the night.

The Husband was having another one of those "offsite meetings".  I had my doubts.  But a job is a job.  And you can only grind so much tape before you need to walk away for a bit.

I double checked the address.  I know that address.  That's the Panera.  Decent sandwiches.  No burgers.

Better hit Five Guys on the way to my stakeout (I had to look up the spelling on that one guys... It's not "steakout" like I hoped it was...  That would be way better if somebody brought you a steak while you were on a steakout.).

I found the location, identified the suspect, grabbed a booth, and made myself at home.

I sat close enough so that I could hear their conversation, but not so close that I'd bring attention to myself.  I took notes.  I put press coverage on my burger.

He definitely was with a lady.  My client was right about that. But the conversation didn't sound flirty.  Or even vaguely romantic.  It sounded like a real work conversation.

"We own the property.  The plans for the hotel are done.  The permits are already going through.  And all we need to do here is take this building out right here."

"Which one?"

"This part of the strip mall.  The section with the Five Guys building."

(I nearly choked on my fries.)

They were talking about taking down Five Guy.  MY Five Guys.  What?

No.

Just... No.  Not that.  You can't do that.

This was starting to affect ME directly.

A Panera employee walked over to my table.

"Sir... Did you bring your own food from outside?"

Damn.  I made too much noise.

"I bought this.  That's OK, right?"

"Did you buy it FROM HERE?"

"Well no."

"If you're not buying anything FROM HERE, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

This had to be the worst stakeout I've ever been on.

I grabbed what was left of my burger and got out of there like I was a returning a punt.  (I left my fries behind.  I still feel bad about that.  Never leave a man behind.)

Time to grind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 2

The New England Patriots play Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 17th at 8:20 PM. Jabrill Peppers gave them a chance. Rough loss in week 1. Despite a horrific first quarter, they were in that game late. And they couldn't close it out. No moral victories. Bloom Power Rankings: 1) In 2) County 3) Bialystock and 4) Rachel 5) Orlando ... 11,997) Chaim Here are three things I wasn't particularly excited about last week: 1) The offense coming up small when the game was on the line. The defense gave them a chance. I'm seeing a pattern here. 2) The continued streak of being unable to win when the other team scores 25 points. 3) Giving away the ball. "We don't want it. You take it!" Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? Just barely. 2010s Jam of the Week The Joy Formidable - Whirring My prediction: Dolphins 34, Patriots 14 ***** This week we have Bill O'Brien, Reluctant Dungeon Master. Why is there so much text here?

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The New England Patriots play Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 10th at 4:25 PM. With the Dolphins, Bills and even the (gulp)  Jets all trending upward, and the Patriots shopping for offensive linemen at the TJ Maxx close out rack, this could be a very  long season. In five short years, we've gone from "Can we just skip ahead to the AFC Championship Game already?" to "Boy, it sure would be swell to win a playoff game again someday!" Based on what I saw in the preseason, I think we're looking at an above average defense and a below average offense. This is maybe a   6 and 11 team.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through this year. I knew the post-Brady transition was going to be hard... But I just didn't think it would be managed this poorly. As such, we'll be slowly transitioning this little weekly fan newsletter into a support group.  Just a quick reminder of what last season looked like. Gene p

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 5

The New England Patriots play Derek Carr and the New Orleans Saints at Gillette Stadium on Sunday October 8th at 1:00 PM. I'd like to thank the Patriots for letting me off the hook early this year. No messing around this time. They are  definitely   not  a playoff team. I'm done talking about Mac Jones. I have nothing nice to say about him. Please don't mention his name to me ever again. "He's good! He just needs better weapons around him!" /throws ball two yards short of wide open receiver Jean-Luc power rankings: 1) Godard 2) Picard If I had to talk myself into it, here are three things I'm feeling kinda sorta OK about this year so far: 1) Some of the rookies have been mostly good, especially Christian Gonzalez.  (And now he's hurt!) 2) Probably going to see a lot more Keion White with Judon going down. 3) Demario Douglas might be good. Just hang on to the football. Did the Patriots score 20 last week? My Brothers and Sisters of Our Lady of the Immac