Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The Patriots play their first regular season game at home against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, September 12th. 1:00 PM start time. Don't be late. (I'm parenting solo all day Saturday, so I better get a serious stretch of uninterrupted couch time on Sunday.)

Sweet, glorious NFL football. It's back. No more preseason. These games count. How did last year's season end? Oh yeah!

Honestly guys, I don't know what to make of this year's Pats. They could go 10 and 6 or 6 and 10. The offense looks really good. The defense looks... ahhh... not quite as good (cue Sad Don Draper face). How deep a playoff run can you go on with a top 5 offense and a bottom 5 defense? Maybe some of young guys will actually turn out to be players. If not, it's going to be a long season.

The good news is that we play the Bills twice. It's like that free 200 points they give you on the SATs.

Also, I promise not to bitch about Laurence Maroney this year. If he's not going to put in the effort, why should I? It's just not worth it.


1) Red Lights: Stop for them. Seriously.


2) Stephen Gostkowski: Four year extension for one of the best kickers in football. Yes!


3) #12 - #81: Best deep ball combo ever. (Ever had "deep balls"? It's not comfortable.) Remember early in his career when everyone said Brady couldn't through the deep ball? Hilarious.


4) Pats TEs: Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez look awesome. What could Brady do with tight ends that can actually catch?! It boggles the mind.


5) 5A SECONDARY: They might turn out to be pretty good. But I'm not going to be holding my breathe.

5B D-LINE: There's Wilfork and... um... That's about it. No secondary plus no pressure from the defensive line equals trouble.



My prediction: Pats 35, Bengals 31

Now... Let's go eat a goddamn snack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...