Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

By Patty O'Tool

The Patriots play their third regular season game at home against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday September 27th at 1:00 PM.

So far, my predictions have not been so hot. But like some unholy combination of Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith, I'm just gonna keep talkin', ONLY LOUDER. If my predictions have been off, that's YOUR FAULT.


1) Defense - The defense has been surprisingly decent so far. Who would have guessed? Their biggest challenge to date comes this week.

2) Penalties - I think there were 4 "Delay of Game" penalties last week. Wha? Huh? I don't think I've ever seen that with Brady at the helm. I'm guessing they spent some time on that in practice this week.

3) The Game Plan - Where was the screen game last week? I would have called twelve straight screens to Kevin Faulk, but that's just me. Not a big fan of the play calling so far this year. Hopefully, they'll get back to the ground game this week. The Atlanta run defense is pillowy soft.

4) Wes Welker - They need him back on the field. If I were him, I would have gone and asked for more money after last week.

5) Joey Galloway - I think this might be the week Brady completely chews him out on the sideline. Awesome. We couldn't have kept Greg Lewis instead?


Last week hurt. Nobody wants to lose. But to lose to the Jets?! That's just sad.

But I've moved on. I keep reminding myself that it's a long season. This team is too good not to play better.


My prediction: Pats 24, Falcons 21

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...