Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 9

The New England Patriots play Sam Darnold Joe Flacco and the New York Jets at Metlife Stadium on Monday November 9th at 8:15 PM.



Masks save lives.

I hoped Week 8 would be a Bounce Back Week (TM). Instead, I am lowering my expectations even more. Maybe... 5 - 11?

If they lose to the Jets this week, that has to be rock bottom.


Here are some Netflix movies you might like to watch instead of watching the Patriots this week:

1) Fargo

2) Midnight Special

3) There Will Be Blood

4) The Lobster

5) Poltergeist


Or maybe you could just go for a nice evening walk.


Here are three four (!) areas of concern going into week 9:

1) Julian Edelman - Jules had surgery last week (a "precautionary knee procedure"). That might explain why he didn't look right all season. We won't be seeing him for a while. Hopefully, we see him again someday. If not, it's been a pleasure watching him play. 

2) Cam Newton - It's amazing how quickly things went from "They should maybe offer him a long term deal before his asking price goes up!" to "I'm glad they don't have him on a long term contract." Biggest of big ooofs.

3) Damien Harris - He's cooled off a bit as of late. I think teams have figured out that the Patriots aren't going to throw the ball. I'm no football genius, but all 11 guys on defense at the line of scrimmage is going to have an impact on the running game.

4) Tight Ends - As of Friday morning, there were none (0) active tight ends on the roster.


Did the Patriots score a touchdown last week?

Yes!


My prediction: Patriots 6, Jets 3

*****

Thursday Morning Third Down Back is proud to present Monster Movies with Coach Fake Bill.

Our Monster Movie of the Week is Nosferatu (1922).

The story of a misunderstood man just looking to buy a second apartment next to his new girlfriend's place in the city. He enjoys a nice boat ride on the way.

I found it relatable.

*****

29 Very Short Stories

by P. Canole

Still available from Amazon. Fine Fall reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...