Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 6


The Patriots play their sixth regular season game at CenturyLink Field against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday October 14th at 4:05 PM.



Woop woop woop.

I re-watched most of the Pats - Broncos on the NFL Network Replay this week.  And let me tell you, it was definitely a butt kickin'.  It wasn't even as close as the final score would indicate.  The Patriots RAN ALL OVER the Broncos.  Whenever they wanted it, it was there for them.  Somebody on Twitter referred to the current Patriot's offense as "speed crushing" their opponents.  That's a pretty accurate description of what's been going on lately.  I can't ever remember seeing anything like this combination of speed and power.  Hopefully, it'll work on the road.

Newton Power Rankings

1) Isaac  
2) Cam
3) Raspberry
4) Huey
5) Fig

...

87) Apple


Here's five things I'll be watching for this week:

1) Stevan Ridley - Another solid week.  151 yards and a touchdown.  Was the late fumble was worrisome?  A little bit, yeah.

2) Brandon Bolden - As long as we're running for 250 yards a week, I'm just going to keep putting both of these guys in the top 5 each week.

3) Alfonzo Dennard - Somebody stepped up at corner and made a few plays last week!  Nice.

4) Wes Welker - Don't look now, but Welker has been heating up.

5) Aaron Hernandez - Rumor is he'll be back this week.  I can't wait.


Did Michael Hoomanawanui have a catch last week?

No.

(In his defense, he was injured.)


My prediction (Game 4): Pats 27, Seahawks 13

My prediction (Season): 12 - 4 (Yes, really...)

Nut up or move on.


*****

Not many people remember this, but most people would have said Willie McGinest was a little bit of disappointment before my staff got a hold of him.  He definitely underachieved under the previous regime (ed. note Pete Carroll).

Parcells drafted him fourth overall.  Obviously, he liked him.  But I wasn't so sure.  Something just never sat right with me.  I felt like he wasn't really living up to his potential.

We sat down and had a heart to heart one day after practice.

"Look Willie... We need you to focus on football.  I want people on my team who I know care about football.  I know you've got some outside interests.  I know you and Snoop Dogg are tight.  But trust me... You want to focus on football now.  Save that stuff for after your career is over."

"This city is afraid of me... I've seen its true face."

"I don't know what to do with you... But Coaches Ryan and Mangini really seem to like you.  So we're going to keep you around for a bit longer.  But... I want to see a little more dedication."

"Soon there will be war.  Millions will burn.  Millions will perish in sickness and misery.  Why does one death matter against so many?"

"I'm thinking of having you play more of a defensive end roll rather than outside linebacker this season."

"None of you seem to understand.  I'm not locked in here with you.  You're locked in here with ME!"

"And another thing - no more appearances on 'Arliss'.  That Robert Wuhl is a real prick."

"THE END IS NIGH."

Anyway... I think I got through to him.  We ending up winning a whole bunch of games with Willie after we had that talk.

In '06, he went to Cleveland with Romeo.  We let him go without too much of a fight.  The last thing we needed on this team was a vigilante.

Besides... Brady already thinks he's Ozymandias.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...