Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 5


The Patriots play their fifth regular season game at Gillette against the Denver Broncos on Sunday October 7th at 4:25 PM.



He's gonna get his name in the paper.


Oh you know... Just two of the five best QBs of all time playing this weekend.  NBD.

I'm no scout... but Peyton has no arm strength left.  Watch how many times he throws the ball more than 15 yards.  I think he's done.

I'm huge on the Patriots this week.  Especially if we can keep running the ball like we have been.


Sterling Power Rankings:

1) Archer
2) Roger
3) Hayden
4) Moore
5) Ice Cream Bar

...

11,957) John


Here's five things I'll be watching for this week:

1) Stevan Ridley - 106 yards and two touch downs last week.  I enjoyed the BenJarvus Green-Ellis era in New England, but I can't remember too many runs he ever had of more than five yards.  Ridley is a little more explosive.

2) Brandon Bolden - 137 yards and a touch down last week.  Welcome to the party, Brandon Bolden!  Some kind of crazy... awesome... two running backs party!

3) Brandon Spikes - That forced fumble at the end of the first half last week was huge.  Huge!  Also... he's kinda nuts.

4) Devin McCourty - He looks horrible in weeks 2 and 3, then he grabs 2 INTs against the Bills.  I don't know what to think.  Can we just play the Bills every week for the rest of the season?

5) Patrick Chung - Something doesn't look right here.  He's been late and out of position a lot lately.  Is he making mistakes?  Or covering for other people's mistakes?  Either way, the secondary is about a C plus right now.


Did Michael Hoomanawanui have a catch last week?

No.

/sad trombone


My prediction (Game 4): Pats 35, Broncos 20

My prediction (Season): 12 - 4 (Yes, really...)

Nut up or move on.


*****


This year, we're going to have regular contributions from Fake Bill Belichick for your reading pleasure.  Here's this week's selection from Fake Bill Belichick's second book "My Patriot Years":

It's 2007.  We're coming off a loss to the Colts in the AFC Championship game.  Our leading receiver the previous year was Reche Caldwell.  Enough said.

Randy Moss was 30 at the time.  He'd had a couple of rough seasons in Oakland.  Everyone thought he was done.

That's when I picked up the phone.


     Me: You want to come play for the Patriots?

     Randy Moss: Sure.

     Me: We'll have to redo your number.  You know, for cap purposes.

     Randy Moss: That's OK.

     Me: Any other questions?

     Randy Moss: You guys have Wendy's in New England, right?

     Me: You mean the hamburgers?  Dave Thomas and all that?

     Randy Moss: Yeah.  I *love* those guys.  You could pay me  Frosties and Classic Singles and I'd be the happiest guy on the team.

     Me:  You like Frosties, huh?

     Randy Moss: Coach... you KNOW I do.

     Me: I'll tell you what.  I'll buy you a Frosty for every touchdown you catch this year.


How'd he do that year?  Well... I ended up taking him out for 23 Frosties.

Can you believe we got this guy for a 4th round pick?  That's good value.  Just like Wendy's.

True story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 2

The New England Patriots play Tua Tagovailoa and the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 17th at 8:20 PM. Jabrill Peppers gave them a chance. Rough loss in week 1. Despite a horrific first quarter, they were in that game late. And they couldn't close it out. No moral victories. Bloom Power Rankings: 1) In 2) County 3) Bialystock and 4) Rachel 5) Orlando ... 11,997) Chaim Here are three things I wasn't particularly excited about last week: 1) The offense coming up small when the game was on the line. The defense gave them a chance. I'm seeing a pattern here. 2) The continued streak of being unable to win when the other team scores 25 points. 3) Giving away the ball. "We don't want it. You take it!" Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? Just barely. 2010s Jam of the Week The Joy Formidable - Whirring My prediction: Dolphins 34, Patriots 14 ***** This week we have Bill O'Brien, Reluctant Dungeon Master. Why is there so much text here?

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The New England Patriots play Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 10th at 4:25 PM. With the Dolphins, Bills and even the (gulp)  Jets all trending upward, and the Patriots shopping for offensive linemen at the TJ Maxx close out rack, this could be a very  long season. In five short years, we've gone from "Can we just skip ahead to the AFC Championship Game already?" to "Boy, it sure would be swell to win a playoff game again someday!" Based on what I saw in the preseason, I think we're looking at an above average defense and a below average offense. This is maybe a   6 and 11 team.  I have no idea how I'm going to get through this year. I knew the post-Brady transition was going to be hard... But I just didn't think it would be managed this poorly. As such, we'll be slowly transitioning this little weekly fan newsletter into a support group.  Just a quick reminder of what last season looked like. Gene p

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The first place New England Patriots play Brock Osweiler and the Houston Texans at Gillette on Thursday September 22nd at 8:25 PM (A late game on a school night?!  How am I supposed to watch the game with my sons Mookie and Betts?!) Is that one of those tiny footballs?  Jacoby looks like a *giant* here. OK, Brissett.  Let's see what you got. Garoppolo going down isn't great.  I had a plan for an escalating joke where the current asking price for Garoppolo eventually went up to 17,000 first round picks (not unreasonable!).  But now he's hurt.  Also, maybe we should keep him now?  I'm torn here.  We'll see. But I'm honestly not that worried.  Jacoby had a really good preseason.  We've got the best quarterback ever coming back in 3 weeks.  We'll be fine. Jacoby Power Rankings: 1) Dr. Lawrence 2) Brissett 3) Feed & Seed 4) Captain 5) Max ... 11,997)  Ellsbury Here's three things I'll be getting defensive about on