Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 3 (Game 3)

The Patriots play their third game of the season on the road at The Ralph on Sunday September 25th at 1:00 PM

First up - It's the 10 year anniversary Mo Lewis taking out Drew Bledsoe.   

*pauses for moment of silence* 

Just think about how differently things might have gone if Brady never made it on the field that season.  Scary.  Don't get me wrong... I love Drew.  And I appreciate that without Parcells, Bledsoe and Kraft coming along when they did, the team was probably gone.  But we definitely don't go on that run with Drew under center.  And I think maybe twice in the last ten years I've yelled "GET RID OF THE BALL!" at the TV with Number 12 out there.  With Drew it was 3 - 4 times per quarter.

Pats vs. Chargers.  It's probably for the best that Vince didn't make it to the end zone off the interception last week.  I probably would have broken my hand on the ceiling after jumping off the couch.


Go, Vince, go!

I always thought evaluating draft picks right after the draft was stupid.  Who the hell knows what kind of NFL players these guys are going to be?  Mel Kiper is fun to watch, but he doesn't really know shit (and supposedly you can buy praise from him for one of your players if you're an agent.  Scandalous!)

Having said that, let's go back at look at one of the better New England drafts in recent memory: 2010.

Here's five things I'll be watching for this week:

1) Devin McCourty - Great rookie year.  Off to a not great start this year.  But the future looks bright.

2) Rob Gronkowski - I love love love Gronk.  I took him about 3 rounds too early in my fantasy draft.  I stand by my decision.

3) Jermaine Cunningham / Brandon Spikes - The linebackers is where that draft gets a little squishy.  I'm still expecting more from Cunningham and Spikes.  So far the only notable contribution has been Spikes's sex tape.

4) Aaron Hernandez - Get well soon.  I've heard 1 - 2 weeks on the knee injury.  I've also heard 4 - 6.  Those bigger numbers scare me a bit.

5) Zoltan Mesko -  I just like saying "Zoltan".  Oh, and he's pretty good, too.  He's also on the "Get well soon" list.  I'm going to have to hit the Hallmark store this weekend.

EXTRA BONUS 6TH ITEM!  Dane Fletcher (undrafted free agent) - He seems to be getting on the field an awful lot this year and taking playing time away from guys drafted much higher than him.  I like it.  Good for him.


I'm honestly worried about the Bills this week.  We've beat them 15 times in a row.  That can't keep up forever, right?  This is going to be a shootout.

My prediction: Pats 45, Bills 42

Stay hydrated, my friends.



YouTube Video of the Week:  New York Giants working on their soccer audition highlight reels. 


*****

This year, we're going to have regular contributions from Fake Bill Belichick for your reading pleasure.  Here's this week's selection from Fake Bill Belichick's "Tales From a Life in Football":

Ok... Last Baltimore Colts story for a while.  It's still Fall of '75.  I'm rocking out to Rush's "Bastille Day" on my 8-track.

I told you about Marchibroda's drinking problem how I was supposed to be keeping the liquor cabinet fully stocked.

Well, the Offensive Coordinator takes me aside one day and explains to me that you've got to let him run out by Friday afternoon if you want him sober enough to coach the game by Sunday.  So I've got to spend all day Saturday ducking the coach so he doesn't send me on a liquor store run (keep in mind nothing was open on Sundays back then).

I'm in the OCs office for a meeting on Saturday morning and we hear the Coach stumbling down the hall.  He's yelling for me.


The OC turns to me and says  "Quick, get in the closet."

"Seriously?"

"Yes!  Go!  Take this and make it disappear."

He hands me the bottle of Canadian Club from his desk drawer.

So I hide in the closet and finish the bottle real quick.  Needless to say, I had an unbelievable headache for game day.  It didn't occur to me until later that I could have just dumped it out.

True story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...