Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 15 (Game 14)

The Patriots play their fourteenth regular season game against the Packers at Gillette on Sunday, December 19th at 8:20 PM.

I apologize.  I was waaay off last week.  I predicted the Pats would win 20 to 14.  I really thought the elements would be more of a factor.  I thought the Bears would, you know, show up.  I'm very happy to report that I was wrong on all accounts.

Six weeks ago I was talking with my buddy KC Masterpiece trying to figure out what was wrong with Brady (mechanics?  head not in the game?  bad haircut?).  The Pats had just got theyselves blowed out at Cleveland.    Things have turned out OK since then, huh?.  They've beaten the absolute iron of the NFL.  And they're not just winning.  They're CRUSHING teams. 

How will the Patriots ever score with Randy Moss?!  Yeah, that one somehow worked out OK, too.

You know what?  I'm calling my shot right now.  I don't think they're going to lose again this year.  Not the way they're playing right now.  Not to turn into one of "Da Bears" guys ("What about Belichick? Would he be mini, too?"  "No, he would be full-grown."), but I'm pretty sure we're unstoppable at this point.

You know who else must read my little newsletter?  Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau:

     "To do what Brady did in those weather conditions in Chicago? That might be one of the most outstanding quarterback performances — ever."


BEST QUARTERBACK EVER.


Here's five things I'll be watching for this week.

1) Tom Brady - Another week, another great QB for Brady to face.  So far this season, he's beaten Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger.  This week, Tom goes up against... Matt Flynn?!  Who?  That can't be right.

2) Aarob Gronknandez - I've combined Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez into one player for easier reference (and I swear I wrote this joke down before seeing something similar in Simmons column this week).  Don Banks of SI thinks they each would go in the first round if we held the draft again today.    Hell of a draft.

3) BenJarvus Green-Ellis - Benny is looking strong.  Over 4 yards a carry in the snow last week.  I love watching him hit the hole. 

4) Gary Guyton - Guyton got some extra snaps last week with Brandon Spikes on suspenders, and what does he do?  Fumble recovery for a touchdown.  And an INT off of Mr. Cutler.  Not bad for another undrafted guy.

5) Singing Dogs - If this game ends up being a blowout by halftime, you have my permission to go to bed early.  Or get in the holiday spirit by watching dogs singing Christmas tunes.  Even Hoth Belichick approves.






My prediction (if Rodgers plays):


Pats 42, Packers 10


My prediction (if Rodgers doesn't play):

Pats 42, Packers 7




Now... Let's go eat a goddamn snack.


Anybody want a holiday mailbag column next week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...