Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14 (Game 13)

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game on the road at Soldier Field on Sunday December 12th at 4:15 PM.

Hey!  Wake up, readers!  There's another game this week.  Between all the Red Sox hysteria and afterglow from the Jets victory, it's a little too easy to forget that the Pats have to play again this Sunday.

Ho hum.  Another AFC Offensive Player of the Week award for #12.  Tom Brady has been getting an awful lot of love from me lately, so we'll give him a break this week.  If he's not the league MVP, I'll be super pissed.  This week I'll let Dan Wetzel make the case for me.


According to the Football Outsiders guys, the 2010 Patriots are so good offensively:


     (T)hey are now close to surpassing their 2007 selves for the title of "greatest offense in DVOA history" 


(Don't worry... "DVOA" isn't a dirty porn thing or anything like that...)

OK.  Enough about the offense.  Let's give the defense some love this week.  It hasn't always been pretty, but they're getting it done.

Here's five things I'll be watching for this week.

1) Jermaine Cunningham - He's keeps just missing the big sack.  Last week Sanchez totally facemasked him.  What a fraud!

2) Devin McCourty - This week, he'll be challenged by... Um... Who do the Bears have at WR? 

3) Patrick Chung - He's due for a big week.  Secretly, I think his knee still hurts and they're just not telling us.

4) James Sanders - One of the few seasoned veterans in the secondary.  Plays smart.  Had they pick of the year against Pey Pey.

5) Vince Wilfork - I like when he has two guys blocking him and still makes the tackle.  Is he awesome?  My sources tell me... YES.


One player not to watch this week is Brandon Spikes, who has reportedly been suspended four games.  Dumbass.


My prediction: Pats 20, Bears 14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...