Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 7

The defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots play Sam Darnold's Spleen and the Noo Yawk Jets at MetLife Stadium on Monday October 21st at 8:15 PM.

If you had to go into battle, would you want him with you?

This defense is special. A+. The offense is... C- right now. Maybe that'll be good enough this year. I don't know. I'm still suggesting my "punt on 1st down, put the defense back out there" strategy.


Watson Power Rankings:

1) DeShaun

2) Emma

3) Emily

4) Ben

5) Dr. John


Here's three things I'm thinking about for Monday night.

1) With Josh Gordon probably out, it looks like another tough week for the wide receiver group. Jakobi Meyers might be... good? I'm not putting him in Canton (neither Ohio nor Mass) just yet, but if you throw it to him, he catches it. Functional! Good hands!

Brady needs to stop taking 4 years to trust new WRs. This team doesn't have that luxury. (To be honest, Brady has been unnecessarily pissy this season. I won't stand for it.)

2) Ben Watson appears to be back for real this week.

3) Cut the kicker.


Perfect Season Watch 2019

The Miami / Washington game did not end with them both losing, so we're down to the Dolphins and Bengals on Perfect Season Watch.

The Dolphins play the Bills. The Bengals play the Jags. Both look like very losable games!

SUNDAY NIGHT UPDATE - both teams lost!


Here's Week 7 of The Buck Stops Here, featuring some of R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck's tastiest riffs.

Driver 8

We need more songs about trains*.

* may not actually be a song about trains

(still a ways to go...)


Did Jakobi Meyers have a catch last week?

Yes! Four catches on four targets. Doubling his catch total for the year.

/guitar solo


My prediction: Patriots 21, New York Jets 17

*****

Commander Mike Metcalf, call sign Viper, special to Thursday Morning Third Down Back.

I went to the academy with Bill. I coached with him.

Sometimes I think he enjoyed the film study sessions as much as combat missions.

He followed the rules, but, they were his own set of rules, you know?

He still might get me killed someday. But yeah, dammit. Bill did it the right way.

Cocky? Sure.

One of the best ever? Absolutely. And he knows it.

That's pretty arrogant, considering the company he's in.

I like that in a head coach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...