Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 12 (Game 11)

The Patriots play their eleventh game of the season against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday November 27th at 4:15 PM.

Sorry about the delay.  We were off having another kid.  So far the Patriots are 2 and 0 since Kid #2 got here.  He actually slept on my tummy while we watched the Pats - Jets game in the hospital.  THAT'S GREAT NAPPING.


Jazz hands!

Have you seen the schedule the rest of the year?  Oh man, that's soft.  Lots of lousy teams and backup quarterbacks.  We're going to win 12 or 13 games.  And, of course, none of it matters if we go one and out again in the playoffs.  *deep breath - composes self*  Moving on...

He's five guys I'll watching closely this week:

1) Tom Brady - Brady has been getting off to sloooow starts the last few weeks.  He's looked great in the second half, but lousy at the beginning of these games.  I hope he's not hurt.

2) Rob Gronkowski - GRONK HANG ON TO BALL EVEN WHILE FALL ON HEAD.  GRONK NO DROP SURE TOUCHDOWNS LIKE DANIEL GRAHAM.

(What do you think?  Too close to Roethlisberger?  I'll keep working on it.) 

3) Vince Wilfork - They're playing Big Vince an awful lot this year.  He's going to get hurt down the stretch.  I'd like to see him get some rest.

4) Kyle Arrington - Arrington has gone from barely being on an NFL roster to leading the league in INTs this year.  Not bad at all.

5) Shane Vereen - Was that Shane Vereen I saw running into the endzone for a garbage time TD last week?  Welcome to the active game day roster, Shane! (Note that this in no way affects my Stevan Ridley man-crush.)


Did Chad Ochocinco have a catch last week?

NO. 

(But to his credit, he did have two the week before.)


My prediction: Pats 31, Eagles 20

Stay hydrated, my friends.


*****

This year, we're going to have regular contributions from Fake Bill Belichick for your reading pleasure.  Here's this week's selection from Fake Bill Belichick's "Tales From a Life in Football":

November 2009.  It's the Monday before Thanksgiving and I'm having an extra film session day with some of the rookies who are struggling.

Ron Brace asks if he can go to the bathroom.  Sure, I tell him.  Make it quick.

We finish up 45 minutes later and Brace still hasn't returned.  I dismiss everyone and tell them I've got a surprise waiting for them in the dining area.

I had ordered a catered Thanksgiving spread for the group.  Turkey.  Biscuits.  Gravy.  Pie.  Everything. 

We walk down the hall and find Brace covered in skin and bones.  Long story short, he had eaten the whole 24 pound turkey before the rest of the team got there.

He must have smelled the meal wandered off after his bathroom break.

"Come on," I tell them.  "Everybody get in your cars and follow me." 

And I took them out for Chinese food.

I should have cut Brace right there on the spot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...