Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 6

The 1 - 4 New England Patriots play C.J. Stroud and the Houston Texans at Gillette Stadium on Sunday October 13th at 1:00 PM.

They really should stop buttering the ball between plays.

That Patriots - Dolphins game last week was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Let's never speak of it again.

The Patriots have announced third overall pick Drake Maye as the starting quarterback this week. I feel like it's too soon. But it's not my job on the line. I'll be nice and cozy on the couch with snacks and beverages and a dog that will pick the absolute worst time to decide that he has to go out.


Drake Power Rankings:

1) 's Cakes

2) (the duck) 

3) (the singer from Canada)

4) Gilded

5) Maye


Here are three things that could have been better in week 5:

1) Jacoby Brissett. Thank you for your contributions. I appreciate your effort. I'm not sure how you're still standing.

2) The play calling had me scratching my head on multiple occasions.

3) The whole WR position group. The problem with leaning on a group of young wide receivers is that sometimes they do stupid stuff.


Dad Rock Jam of the Week

ZZ Top - Sleeping Bag 

(I had forgotten just how weird this video was. Monster truck? Sure! Magic bridge? Absolutely! Space shuttle car that launches out of a pyramid? You better believe it!!!)


Did the Patriots score 20 points last week? 

Halfway there!


My prediction: Patriots 19, Texans 35

***  

Thursday Morning Third Down Back is pleased to welcome German existentialist filmmaker Bob Kraft. (to be read in a vaguely Werner Herzog-esque voice)

A man extends his reach and achieves more than he has ever dreamed of in this life. I have seen it all in my time. The highest highs and the lowest lows. The succulent middles.

I got to watch the greatest quarterback the sport has ever produced on my own team.

I have built an epic cathedral of steel and concrete that will long outlive my time on this planet.

I also appreciate our various concessions, especially the pulled pork sandwich found in the luxury box, perhaps paired with a soft pretzel and a not too pretentious pilsner.

But what is one to do with whatever remaining time they have left?  Other than hide from death for another day? Will I not ever again see this team at the top of the mountain? How does one go back to a life of NFL poverty after living like a king for so long?

Don't we all deserve a happy ending?

(Thursday Morning Third Down Back is never written with AI or accepts payments from foreign governments.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...