Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The New England Patriots play Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals at Paycor Stadium on Sunday September 8th at 1:00 PM.

Protect him.

New season. New coach. New quarterback. Going to be a whole lot of one o'clock Sunday games this season. Reserve your spot on the couch now. It's going to be rough (I'm thinking maybe... five wins?). Let's try to help each other get through it.

As of opening day, it will have been 2044 days (!) since the Patriots last won a playoff game. I knew there was going to be a readjustment period after two decades of dominance. I just didn't expect the post-Brady era to suck as bad as it has. I let myself think there was a plan in place.

I very much did not enjoy the Mac Jones Era. Was he put in a bad situation? Yes. Did he kinda suck? Also yes!

...and that's the last time I'll be talking about McCorkle.

What do we know about this 2024 Patriots team? Well, we didn't really learn a whole lot from the preseason other than the offensive line sucks hard. There were times when it looked like they were playing football for the first time. We know Drake Maye can sling it. But there's such a weak support system around him that it probably won't matter. I'd sit him for at least the first six weeks. Don't get the kid killed.

We're going to be looking at a very high draft pick again after this season.


May Power Rankings:

1) -o

2) -e

3) Day

4) -a Hawke

5) Aunt

6) I said ___-be. 


Three things that might not suck this season:

1) Second year wide receiver Demario Douglas. Just find a way to get him the ball 3 - 5 times a game. He's fun to watch!

2) Rhamondre Stevenson - I feel like we're wasting the prime years of his career with this o-line. Sorry, Rhamondre.

3) The defense should still be above average.


Dad Rock Jam of the Week

The National - Terrible Love


My prediction: Patriots 9, Bengals 31

***  

This week Thursday Morning Third Down Back is pleased to welcome Bene Gesserit Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam.

Our breeding program stretches back 90 generations. You had two decades of unrivaled prosperity under the Football Kwisatz Haderach. And what was your plan for after that? To just... wing it?

I'm not expecting a Leto II level replacement talent... but you've brought me nothing but sub-Farad'n Corrino options.

Get out of my office. And don't let me see you again until you've got a proper succession plan to show me. The last four seasons of watching this Patriots team has been one long gom jabbar.

***

Book 4 still available from Amazon:

Stories About Dogs and Ice Cream

by P. Canole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...