Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 16

The defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots play Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills at Gillette Stadium on Saturday December 21st at 4:30 PM.


It puts the lotion in the basket.

The Bills are... (checks notes)... actually pretty good this year?

(I apologize for using that tired joke format... If it makes you feel any better, I've written the rest of this column with my head hanging in shame...)

The Patriots offense is... not good. I'm not going to sugar coat it. The line is bad. The running game is bad. And... the quarterback hasn't played well in a while now. No more making excuses for TB12.

Related image


Goose Power Rankings:

1) Talk to me _____

2) Mother

3) Golden

4) Gossage

5) Canadian


Here's three things I liked about last week:

1) JC Jackson - Hasn't gotten nearly enough credit for a really good season.

2) Stephon Gilmore - Has probably gotten the proper amount of credit for a really good season.

3) N’Keal Harry - N'Keal might not be a bust? Maybe?


Here's Week 16 of The Buck Stops Here, featuring some of R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck's tastiest riffs.

Let's do a Mike Mills song in honor of his birthday earlier this week.

Superman


Did Jakobi Meyers have a catch last week?

No.

/so many sad trombones

*****

This week we have Fake Matt Patricia filling for Fake Bill Belichick.

Putting the final touches on the team Saturnalia party this weekend. This year's theme is The Second Punic War. Stop by if you can. It'll be a hoot!

I'm also deploying the Fabian Strategy (war of attrition) from the Roman battlefield to the football field. Just three or four more seasons and I'll have conquered the NFC North!

Try this dessert for your next gathering. It'll knock your toga off!

Pecan Toffee and Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chunk Bars

3/4 C butter
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1 egg
1 T vanilla
1 cup ap flour
1 cup oats
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1/4 C toffee chunks (but feel free to double that)
1/2 C chocolate chunks (feel free to double that, too)
1/2 C pecans

Brown the butter. Melt it over medium heat. Let it sit for five minutes.

Add the brown sugar. Then the egg and vanilla.

Then the rest of the stuff.

Bake for 25- 30 minutes in a 9 x 9 glass pan at 325.

Recipe from http://thesweetandsimplekitchen.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...