Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Gillette Stadium on Sunday September 8th at 8:20 PM.

That's a lot of banners.



Photo by me.


Bailey Power Rankings

1) Jake

2) George

3) Champ

4) Irish Cream

5) Beetle


Here are three things I'll be watching for Sunday night:

1) Special Teams - It's looking like this is going to be a rushing and defense team this season. Expect field position to be a major weapon.

2) Defense - On defense, get the ball back as quickly as possible. So we can punt again.

3) Offense - On offense, put up 7 points, then go three and out the rest of the game. Consider punting on third down if the situation calls for it.


Did Rob Gronkowski have a catch last game? 

Yes!

(But probably his last one for a while...)


Based on some of my recent conversations, a lot of people seem to have forgotten about R.E.M. We're going to work on that.

Here's Week 1 of The Buck Stops Here, featuring some of R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck's tastiest riffs.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

This song is on one of my running playlists. I don't always run to music, but sometimes when I do I find myself mouthing along with the words. ♩ ♪ I couldn’t underSTAAAAAAND ♩ ♪.  

I'm sure I look like a crazy person.


My prediction: Pats 24, Steelers 21


*****

The Puntslinger

The man in black fled across the field, and the punter followed.

The field was the apotheosis of all fields, huge, standing to the sky for what looked like eternity in all directions, surrounded by blue seats. With a large fake lighthouse at one end. A tower of light. The Light Tower if you will.

Banners marked the battles of previous wars. An occasional tombstone marked the grave of the fallen AFC East coaches.

Jake Bailey, a fifth round pick out of Stanford, was the last remaining punterslinger from training camp. Legend has it he once punted a ball 84 yards in college. But the world had moved on since then. The world had emptied.

This is his tale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - AFC Championship Game

The New England Patriots play Bo Nix Jarrett Stidham and the Denver Broncos in the Tom Brady Memorial AFC Championship Game at Empower Field at Mile High Sunday January 25th at 3:00 PM. Big hugs! To say the Patriots have exceeded expectations so far this season is an enormous understatement. As recently as a year ago I remember wondering if they'd ever host a home playoff game again. Having said that, now that you're this close and playing the other team's backup quarterback in the AFC Championship Game, go out and get it. Also, Mike Vrabel now the longest tenured coach in the AFC East. I kid you not. Odyssey Power Rankings: 1) 2001: A Space _____ 2) The _____ (Homer) 3) Honda  _____ Here are three things I'm a little concerned about this week: 1) Drake Maye - He's been fantastic this season. A+. We couldn't have asked for more in his second year. A pleasure just to watch. Having said that, please hold on to that football, Drake Maye 2) Playing in Denver - tr...