Skip to main content

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 1

The defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots play Alex Smith (ugh, still?) and the Kansas City Chiefs at Gillette Stadium on Thursday September 7th at 8:30 PM.

Marsh Power Rankings:

1) Randy

2) Beverly

3) Mallow

4) Blooming

5) Salt

6) Cassius

7) -all Crenshaw



Get well soon, Julian Edelman

With Edelman on the shelf for the season, here are three guys I'm hoping can help pick up the slack:

1) Brandin Cooks - Feels like they've been keeping him under wraps for the preseason.  They might have something special here.  I'm expecting big things.

2) Danny Amendola - It would be nice if Danny could stay healthy for 16 games, but I'm not holding my breath.  (Wouldn't you go by "Daniel" as a grown man?)

3) James White -  Obviously, he had himself a heck of a game in the Super Bowl.  But did you know he also had 60 receptions last year?  Well he did!


New Business:

The Patriots acquired a number of new players this year including Dwayne Allen (TE), Brandin Cooks (WR), Rex Burkhead (RB), Phillip Dorsett (WR), Kony Ealy (DE), Mike Gillislee (RB), Stephon Gilmore (CB), David Harris (LB) and Cassius Marsh (DE).

(Whoa.  If that's not loading up for this season, I don't know what is.)

Old Business:

Marty Bennett, LeGarrette Blount, Jacoby Brissett, Chris Long and Kony Ealy (gone before I could even get off a KONY2017 blast) are no longer with us.

(They're not dead, they're just not on Patriots anymore.)

Areas of concern going in to the season: defensive front, kicker

Did Malcolm Mitchell have a catch in the Super Bowl?  Yes!  Six!  (I think we can officially retire this bit now)

My prediction: Pats 28, Chiefs 17

*****
This year, we're going to have regular contributions from Fake Bill Belichick for your reading pleasure.

I led the crowd in a chant of "No days off!" at the Super Bowl parade last year.  But if I'm being completely honest with you, I did take a few days off this off-season.  Spent a few days out on the boat.  Had a couple of Michelobs.

I'm feeling like this is a good year to just cruise for a bit.  Let Matt and Josh handle the day to day details, you know?  I'll stay aft.

Patricia upgraded all my laserdiscs to streaming.  I don't know how it works out on the boat, but it does.  Put on Thief .  Does it get any better than Michael Mann directing James Caan?

I should call Jim and see if he wants to go out on the boat this weekend.  Nobody tends bar like Jimmy.  And he can cook, too.  Makes the best steak and lobster tails you ever had.  Never seen the man eat a vegetable, though.

Fake Bill's Yacht Rock Jam of the Week:

Since we're kicking off the season with a night game, let's go with Benny Mardones - Into the Night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...