Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 8

The Patriots play their eighth game of the year at Gillette against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday October 27th at 1:00 PM.

Bad, bad loss last week.  Not good times, you guys.

I know this sounds absurd to say about a 5 - 2 team, but... I think this team is just... average.  They have a chance to move up to "good" by the end of the season, but they're not there yet.  The offense has to get better.  And they can't afford to lose any more bodies on defense.

To put it mildly, the offense has had problems.  It's not entirely on Brady... But yes... A large chunk of it is on Brady.  Yes, he's got an almost entirely new cast of characters around him.  But he's definitely been less good-ish this year.  Is he on the decline?  Is this the beginning of the end?  Is he just off to bad start?  Insufficient data.  Ask again later.

Brady vs. the Jets last week:

     22 of 46 for 228 yards.  4 sacks.  0 TDs.  1 INT.

Woof.

I'm also willing to listen to the argument that the Patriots wide receivers are terrible this year.  They're certainly not helping things.  They lead the league in drops.  And goofy names.


Gronk approves.


Aaron Power Rankings:

1) Burr

2) Paul

3) Rodgers

4) Eckhart

5) Dobson


Here's five guys I'm looking forward to watching this week:

1) Rob Gronkowski - Gronk back.  Gronk have pretty good first game, but Gronk not catch touchdown.  Maybe Tom lock in on Gronk too much.

2) Stevan Ridley - Ridley has actually played well the last few weeks.  I wish they would give him the ball a bit more.

3) Brandon Bolden - Bolden looks like he's taken a step backwards this year.  My expectations have not been met so far.

4) Julian Edelman - Even without the receptions, he's quite the weapon in the return game.

5) Danny Amendola - Might play this week.  Not exactly making everyone forget about Wes Welker in his first year as a Patriot.

5A) Andre Carter - Welcome back, Andre Carter.  Can you play 3 positions at once?

Did Michael Hoomanawanui have a catch last week?

No.

/sad trombone


My prediction: Pats 30, Dolphins 24

My prediction (Season): 10 - 6


*****

This year, we're going to have regular contributions from Fake Bill Belichick for your reading pleasure.  Here's this week's selection from Fake Bill Belichick's third book "My Life Away From Football":

Last offseason.  I was still looking to see if there was something I could do other than football.  There had to be something out there for me.  Crossing guard gig didn't work out.  Landscaping wasn't really my thing.  Decided to try selling real estate.  How hard could it be, right?

They set me up to run an open house.  It didn't go so well.

The first guy comes in and just starts hounding me with... like... a million questions.

     "This kitchen needs updating.  Do you know if they're planning on working on that?"

     "It is what it is."

     "What's this room for?"

     "Well... This room has a lot of versatility.  You could use it as a dining room.  Or a breakfast area.  Or you could use it to watch game tape...  Unless... Is that not something you do?"

     "Do you have a copy of the home inspection report?  Does it mention the kitchen."

     "It'll be on the report when the report comes out Wednesday."

     "What happened to Dan?  Didn't he used to work for your office?  Dan was a lot more helpful."

     "He doesn't play for our team anymore."


Give me a break, buddy.  Somehow these buyers were worse than reporters.  So many questions.

I decided maybe I just needed to get away from people for a while...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...