Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 6


The Patriots play their sixth regular season game at CenturyLink Field against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday October 14th at 4:05 PM.



Woop woop woop.

I re-watched most of the Pats - Broncos on the NFL Network Replay this week.  And let me tell you, it was definitely a butt kickin'.  It wasn't even as close as the final score would indicate.  The Patriots RAN ALL OVER the Broncos.  Whenever they wanted it, it was there for them.  Somebody on Twitter referred to the current Patriot's offense as "speed crushing" their opponents.  That's a pretty accurate description of what's been going on lately.  I can't ever remember seeing anything like this combination of speed and power.  Hopefully, it'll work on the road.

Newton Power Rankings

1) Isaac  
2) Cam
3) Raspberry
4) Huey
5) Fig

...

87) Apple


Here's five things I'll be watching for this week:

1) Stevan Ridley - Another solid week.  151 yards and a touchdown.  Was the late fumble was worrisome?  A little bit, yeah.

2) Brandon Bolden - As long as we're running for 250 yards a week, I'm just going to keep putting both of these guys in the top 5 each week.

3) Alfonzo Dennard - Somebody stepped up at corner and made a few plays last week!  Nice.

4) Wes Welker - Don't look now, but Welker has been heating up.

5) Aaron Hernandez - Rumor is he'll be back this week.  I can't wait.


Did Michael Hoomanawanui have a catch last week?

No.

(In his defense, he was injured.)


My prediction (Game 4): Pats 27, Seahawks 13

My prediction (Season): 12 - 4 (Yes, really...)

Nut up or move on.


*****

Not many people remember this, but most people would have said Willie McGinest was a little bit of disappointment before my staff got a hold of him.  He definitely underachieved under the previous regime (ed. note Pete Carroll).

Parcells drafted him fourth overall.  Obviously, he liked him.  But I wasn't so sure.  Something just never sat right with me.  I felt like he wasn't really living up to his potential.

We sat down and had a heart to heart one day after practice.

"Look Willie... We need you to focus on football.  I want people on my team who I know care about football.  I know you've got some outside interests.  I know you and Snoop Dogg are tight.  But trust me... You want to focus on football now.  Save that stuff for after your career is over."

"This city is afraid of me... I've seen its true face."

"I don't know what to do with you... But Coaches Ryan and Mangini really seem to like you.  So we're going to keep you around for a bit longer.  But... I want to see a little more dedication."

"Soon there will be war.  Millions will burn.  Millions will perish in sickness and misery.  Why does one death matter against so many?"

"I'm thinking of having you play more of a defensive end roll rather than outside linebacker this season."

"None of you seem to understand.  I'm not locked in here with you.  You're locked in here with ME!"

"And another thing - no more appearances on 'Arliss'.  That Robert Wuhl is a real prick."

"THE END IS NIGH."

Anyway... I think I got through to him.  We ending up winning a whole bunch of games with Willie after we had that talk.

In '06, he went to Cleveland with Romeo.  We let him go without too much of a fight.  The last thing we needed on this team was a vigilante.

Besides... Brady already thinks he's Ozymandias.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 3

The New England Patriots play Matthew Stafford and the Detroit Lions at Ford Field on Sunday September 23rd at 8:20 PM. Gordon Power Rankings 1) Cole 2) Flash 3) Kim 4) Levitt 5) Sumner 6) (Sesame Street) 7) Lightfoot 8) Shumway 9) Emily v 10) Hayword 11) the Big Engine 12) Jump 13) Josh (Who knew there were so many Gordons!) Here's three things I'm worried about for Sunday evening: 1) The secondary - Eric Rowe isn't making me forget about Malcolm Butler any time soon.  Assuming the Lions have changed their signals by now . Stafford might be able to throw all over the place on them.  Concerns.  I have them.  2) Tom Brady - TB12 got beat up pretty good last week, didn't he?  There was no rhythm (Did I spell that right?  "Rhythm"?  That doesn't look right.) .  I'd like to see some long sustained drives. 3) Sony Michel - With Jeremy Hill out on injured reserve, the Patriots started to work first round pick Sony...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...