Skip to main content

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 2

The Patriots play their second regular season game at the "New Meadowlands" (giggle giggle) against the New York Jets on Sunday, September 19th at 4:15 PM.

Feelin' pretty good about Week 1, but I'm trying to keep myself on an even keel. It's just one game. But it's much better than starting with a loss.

HOWEVER... We did manage to clear up the roster spot that Laurence Maroney was taking up. We even got a 4th rounder for him! (I've been unable to confirm the rumor that "Dancing with the Stars" offered a conditional 5th round pick for him.)

You can look at this development two ways:

1) We're giving up on a guy that never really lived up to his 1st round pick status

2) We just got a 4th round pick for the 4th or 5th guy on the depth chart at RB.


I'm just happy we got something for him. I was somewhat surprised he was still on the roster after the preseason.


Here's five things I'll be watching for this week.


1) Short Passes / Screens: If they Jets are going to blitz as much as they did against the Ravens, TB is going to have to get rid of the ball in a hurry.

2) NE Defense: If we don't end up with at least 3 turnovers on defense, my feelings will be personally hurt.

3) Mark Sanchez: 10 of 21 for 74 yards last week? 1 for 11 on third down? Yikes. That's brutal. How long before the home crowd gets on him?

4) Welker / Edelman: Let Revis take Moss out of the game. There's plenty of other options for Brady.

5) Goddamn Snacks: I love eating during football. I've been sticking to the Baked Lays lately, but I might have to open up the playbook a bit this week.



My prediction: Pats 27, Jets 17


Now... Let's go eat a goddamn snack.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Things to Watch This Week - Week 14

The Patriots play their thirteenth regular season game at home (!) against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday December 13th at 1:00 PM at Gillette Stadium. Oh man...  I picked a hell of a year to start a Patriots blog... I feel like I'm chronicling the Fall of the Roman Empire. The offense looks stale.  The defense went from "young and fast" to "inexperienced". And a big part of the problem is... (gulp)... Brady.  He looks too predictable out there at times.  Welker is making him better at this point. Here's what I think is going on:   - Some of the creativity is gone from the offense.  Bill O'Brien is no Josh McDaniels   - Nobody is stepping up after Welker and Moss.  Sam Aiken is nice special teamer / 4th or 5th receiver, but they could actually use a Gaffney or a Stallworth.   - Brady has got a baby on the way (UPDATE - he just had a boy).  Don't laugh.  He looked like crap last time he had a kid coming.  (To...

Five Things to Watch This Week.

By Patty O'Tool The Patriots play their fourth preseason game at home against the New York Giants on Thursday, September 3rd at 7:30 PM Oh man, do I hate the Giants. I still wake up thinking about how close we were to 19 and 0. I don't think I'll ever get over that. Here's five things I'll be watching for on Thursday: 1) Tom Brady. How well does he hold the clipboard on the sideline? Does he hold it with his left hand or his right hand? Will he be in uniform or street clothes? These are the big questions for #12 tonight. 2) Laurence Maroney . OK, kid. I've been apologizing for you for three years now. Show me something. 3) Joey Galloway. I have no emotional attachment to this guy. I could care less if makes the team. He looks like crap out there so far. 4) Linebackers. Bruschi's gone. We're young and fast now. But are we any good ? 5) BenJarvus Green-Ellis. This might be the last time we see him a Patriots uniform. If he gets cut, som...

Three Things to Watch This Week - Week 15

The New England Patriots play The Ben and the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on Sunday December 16th at 4:25 PM. Plenty of positive takeaways from last week... well, until the last play (Gronk didn’t want to get in the way of a 69 yard touchdown). Gronk shouldn't have been out there on the last play.  There's no way a gimpy Tannehill was going to chuck one 70 yards.  Harrumph. Powers Power Rankings: 1) Boothe 2) Austin 3) Stephanie 4) Vested in me 5) Bleeding  6) (Irish whiskey) Here are three things I'm feeling good about this week: 1) Josh Gordon - Gordon has been better than expected so far.  Can you imagine the numbers Gordon could have put up if he had been here his whole career (and, well, sober)?  Guh. 2) James White - James White rules. 3) Jacob Hollister - I thought this was going to be Hollister's breakout year...  So far, he has 4 catches for the season.  There's still time! Did Rob Gronkowski play last week...